- 1 How do you rewire an old light fixture?
- 2 Are old light fixtures worth anything?
- 3 Should exterior light fixtures match door hardware?
- 4 Do light fixtures have to be UL listed?
- 5 How much does it cost to rewire a light fixture?
- 6 How do you clean an old light fixture?
- 7 How do I know if my chandelier is worth money?
- 8 How do I know if my light fixture is antique?
- 9 How do you date an antique chandelier?
- 10 Should door hardware match bathroom fixtures?
- 11 What is the best material for outdoor lighting fixtures?
- 12 Do light fixtures have to match cabinet hardware?
- 13 Which is better UL or ETL?
- 14 Can you sell homemade light fixtures?
- 15 What if a product is not UL listed?
How do you rewire an old light fixture?
How To Rewire an Antique Light Fixture
- Turn off the power to the fixture at the service panel, and remove any shades.
- Be certain the power is no longer flowing; test the fixture’s wires with a circuit tester [B].
- Next, you’ll want to access the wires in the fixture and disconnect them from the fixture.
- Remove the socket and its wires.
Are old light fixtures worth anything?
Antique light fixtures are a valuable and inspirational decorative accent in a real estate investment. The historical significance and unique styling associated with antique lighting fixtures make them a luxurious element in a home design.
Should exterior light fixtures match door hardware?
Exterior fixtures do not have to match, so have fun mixing outdoor lighting for your front door, backyard, patio or even small balcony.
Do light fixtures have to be UL listed?
For example, you may use a light fixture in your home that isn’t UL listed, but building codes may require a UL listing for light fixtures used at your workplace. While it may not be required to use UL lighting in your home, many individuals choose approved lighting even when they don’t need to.
How much does it cost to rewire a light fixture?
Most people spend $150 to $500 to install a light fixture; the average is right around $400. Keeping this in consideration, how much does it cost to rewire a light fixture? Most homeowners spend between $129 to $179 nationally. How much does it cost to have a chandelier rewired?
|National Average Cost||$180|
|Average Range||$129 to $179|
How do you clean an old light fixture?
Some tips for cleaning metal on antique lighting fixtures:
- Wipe the cleaned parts with a soft, nonabrasive cloth such as an old T-shirt, suggests Chris Jones of Historic Houseparts.
- Once dry, protect exposed surfaces and even out the finish with paste wax or a metallic wax, such as Rub ‘n Buff.
How do I know if my chandelier is worth money?
Examine the Glass Color The color of the glass in an old crystal chandelier is another clue as to its origins and age. The high lead content of a 19th-century chandelier makes the glass appear to have a gray tint. This is a good indication that the chandelier is authentic and not a modern reproduction.
How do I know if my light fixture is antique?
Look at the light fixture for manufacturer impressions. The metal framework supports the fixture, the base of the light and the arms connecting to the globes. The company names or signatures that were incorporated into the original casting are the most common markings.
How do you date an antique chandelier?
- Look over every inch of the light fixture for a maker’s mark, name or date.
- Sift through old catalogs, newspaper advertisements and home magazines for your chandelier or a close match that could lead you to the actual manufacturer, country of origin and period.
- Consider the source that powered your chandelier.
Should door hardware match bathroom fixtures?
If you’re referring to the vanity hinges, they should match the vanity knobs. The faucet and actual door handles can be another finish. Just don’t add a third finish.
What is the best material for outdoor lighting fixtures?
Brass fixtures are great options for coastal environments. Brass fixtures are more expensive that some of the other metals used, but is the best quality and most durable metal that will last the longest. Copper is another great quality option for outdoor lighting.
Do light fixtures have to match cabinet hardware?
Cabinets in kitchen – hardware should match lighting at least to the extent it is in the same range – so polished nickel and satin nickel or nickel – fine.
Which is better UL or ETL?
Aside from the body that issues the listing, there is absolutely no difference between a UL listing and an ETL listing. Because Intertek ETL tests products to previously published UL Standards for Safety, products marked as ETL Listed meet exactly the same criteria as those marked UL Listed or UL Recognized.
Can you sell homemade light fixtures?
Sell them as a business – not legal if you ‘re not a licensed electrician working for a licensed and bonded contractor/shop getting the fixtures inspected by a listing agency. Make and sell a few as a niche market thing – gray area.
What if a product is not UL listed?
You can find out more at the UL website here. Any hardware entrepreneur who intends on selling his product in a retail store should know that most retailers will not carry a product if it is not UL certified or has a letter saying that UL does not certify the product you are selling.